Ever heard of the stall yummy chiffon? I always buy yoghurt chiffon cake whenever i patronized the stall. I am a fan of yoghurt and yoghurt chiffon cake is definitely something i have always been wanting to bake since a long while. Instead of the usual chiffon cakes like Pandan and Orange chiffon cake, i decided to try something new and I ended up with a Cranberry yoghurt chiffon cake. however, i found this recipe slightly too eggy for me. The original recipe called for lemon zest and lemon juice. But i didnt have them on hand. So i substituted with orange zest and orange juice.
Recipe: (Original recipe adapted from here) :
5 Egg yolks
40g Caster sugar
65g Canola oil/salad oil
2 tsp orange juice
130g Natural yogurt
130g Plain flour (sifted)
orange zest from one orange
7 Egg whites
90g Caster sugar
95g Dried cranberries (cut to small pieces & sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp flour)
- In a large bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar and oil well with a hand whisk. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and yogurt into it, mix well again.
- Whisk egg whites till frothy, gradually add in the sugar in batches, mix well. Continue beating till egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Use a hand whisk to mix 1/3 egg whites with mixture.
- Gently fold in the rest with a rubber spatula till well combined.
- Lastly gently fold in the cranberries pieces into mixture.
- Spoon batter into the cake mould up to 3/4 full evenly and bake at 180C for 15 mins, then lower temperature to 160 for another 20 mins or skewer comes out clean.
- Invert cake immediately on a wire rack to cool completely before unmoulding.