I have been eating hot rolled oats with banana (banana craze) and nuts for the past few days. I shall have a more filling breakfast today – Buttery ham and scrambled Egg croissant. Just cook some scramble eggs, toast few pieces of honey baked ham in the oven/microwave and apply some butter onto the croissant that you can buy at the nearest bakery or supermarket. Put everything together, add a bit of pepper and you are good to go! Well, I prefer the medium rare kind of scramble eggs. But since i am bringing them to school, i fear they might go bad if i leave them for too long. So i climbed out of bed as early as 630 am just to prepare this. Look at how discipline I am! If only i could be this discipline in studying… Packed them into lunch boxes and I am off to school! On a side note, ONE MORE DAY TO SUMMER. YES YES YES!!
Ever since I came across the Baked egg toast on fooodismylife, I promised myself I m gna make this one day. This pretty egg toast definitely starts anybody’s day. The best thing is they are really simple to make. I scooped a few spoons of baked beans to make a complete meal. They taste as good as they look. Ingredients:
2 slices of bread ( i use wholemeal)
Herbs ( any kind of herbs you have on hand)
Cheese ( Slice cheese/ Cheese spread) ( Optional)
Butter ( Optional)
-Use a cookie cutter ( I got mine from Daiso) to cut the shape out.
-For a darker shade of bread toast, apply some butter onto both sides of bread.
-Divide cheese slice into 4 pieces and align them along the sides of the bread and stick the bread together.
-Break an egg into the hole you have cut out using a cookie cutter.
-Sprinkle some pepper and herbs onto the egg and bake in the oven until the desired cookness of your egg at 180 degreesC
I just baked these scones before dinner time and they were part of my dinner. This recipe is amazing. I got this recipe from BBC books. It’s simple and really delicious. Crisp on the outside, soft, light and fluffy on the inside. This is my first attempt and they turned out to be really terrific. This is definitely a keeper and I am surely going to bake these again. Whipped cream and Jam will definitely be a bonus to them. You got to make these. They made my day. (:
175g Self-raising flour
50g Caster Sugar
87.5 ml Buttermilk
3 tbsp Cranberries
Beaten egg ( for glaze)
1. Heat oven to 180 degree C. Mix together the flour n sugar. Rb the butter in with your fingertips until the mucture resembkes fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre of the ingredients and tip in the buttermilk all in one go then mix lightly to form a sofy dough. add cranberries and lightly mix.
2. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Press the dough to a 2.5 cm/ your own desired thickness then stamp out 5 cm rounds with a cookie cutter. ( I simply just pluck the dough and roll them into balls then flatten them into about 2 cm thickness)
3. Transfer the scones to a baking sheet. Lightly brush them with beaten egg and bake them for 12-15 mins until risen and lightly golden. Serve with whipped cream and Jam while it’s fresh and hot from the oven.
I made Eggs benedict for breakfast for my sis and bro-in-law on a Sunday morng!
Cooking the poached eggs were easier than I thought. As I don’t have a double boiler (saving the trouble of making one too), I bought the pre-made hollandaise sauce from the supermarket. But I don’t rly like the taste. It’s a little mayonish. Prolly home made hollandaise sauce will be much btr. I’m def gna try making hollandaise sauce next time! But I guess if yr egg yolks are runny, you can go without the sauce too. I made some garlic sautéed mushrooms too and they were fantastic.
– 3 eggs
– 2 tbsp vinegar
– Baguette/sourdough/eng muffins/ ( any bread you want)
– Pre-made hollandaise sauce ( i feel that making yr own’ll be btr)
– 1 tbsp Butter
– 1 pkt diced button mushrooms
– 5 cloves of garlic ( I am an avid fan of garlic!! So if you do not like it, you can go easy on the number of cloves.)
-Salt & pepper to taste
Cooking the sautéed mushrooms
1. Add the butter into the saucepan and switch on the fire.
2. Pop the chopped garlic into the saucepan.
3. Add the diced mushrooms when the butter is slightly bubbling.
4. Sprinkle some salt, pepper, herbs if you have.
5. Stirring occasionally to prevent the mushrooms from sticking onto the saucepan. It is almost done when the mushrooms have absorbed most of the water. Add salt and pepper to suit yr own taste.
Note*: do not soak the mushrooms in water for a long time when you are washing the mushrooms. Mushroom absorb water easily. Lightly rinse/wash it will do.
Poaching the eggs
1. Add vinegar and bring the water in the saucepan to boiling then turned down the fire and let it simmer.
2. Spin the water to let it cool down a little. Crack yr egg one at a time in a bowl and carefully drop yr egg into the center of the whirlpool.
3. Yr eggs take about 3-5 mins to be cooked, depending how cooked you want yr yolks to be.
– use fresh eggs
– if you are poaching many eggs at a time, do not spin the water.
– poach an egg at a time to prevent eggs from merging tgt
-serve almost immediately
-click here to get more details about poaching eggs.
Assembling them together
1. Pan-fry your ham/bacon or you can pop them into the oven for a few mins. I used ham as it is healthier but I think bacon will be more tasty!
2. Toast your bread and lightly apply with butter.
3. Stack yr ham/ bacon followed by eggs. Top with some hollandaise sauce.
4. Serve with some sautéed mushroom.
You can use almost anything you have on hand. Tomatoes, asparagus, broccoli, lettuce are good sides too!