I’ve been wanting to make jam drops. They look so pretty. Well, i intended to make these as christmas food gifts for my potluck last Christmas. But i realise such cookies easily become v soft ( lou feng) when they are exposed to open air for a long time. They are best kept in a tupperware as soon as they are almost cooled after taking them out from the hot oven. Nevertheless, they still taste fabulous! Give this a try!
125g butter (room temperature)
100g caster sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence
190g self raising flour
Confectionary / powdered sugar ( topping)
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Meanwhile, beat the butter and sugar until smooth.
2. Add Vanilla essence and egg. Continue to beat until smooth.
3. sieve the flour over butter mixture until uniform consistency.
4. Roll teaspoon full of mixture into balls
5. Place on the prepared tray. gently press the centre of each ball with your fingers/ the back of a spoon to form a hole.
6. Fill these holes with Jam and pop them into the oven. They are ready when they are lighly browned.
7. sprinkle some powdered sugar on the top of the cookies.
Tip: Do not fill the Jam to the brim of the hole as it may overflow during baking. Avoid adding the watery portion of the jam onto the cookie as it may cause the cookie to turn soggy at the centre. Add the custard like portion of the jam.